Sunday 12 April 2009

Who fear's to speak?


It's Easter Sunday and on this day my thoughts are always with the events surounding the 1916 Rising in Dublin against British rule. The Rising remains an inspiration for me and guides my political outlook and how I view the world. It is the case that one of the very first books I read as a child was 'Last Words'. Last Words is a compendium of the last written words of the executed leaders of the Rising to their wives, family and friends. Most of the material of the book comes from letters and statements gathered by many people involved both directly and indirectly in the Rising and it makes for heartbreaking reading at times. I urge anyone to seek a copy.


The Rising remains important for the Liverpool Irish as many of our brothers and sisters took part in the event. Some of the names of those men and women need to be remembered and not forgotten. So lets remember the Kerr family from Bootle, Neill and his three sons Tom, Jack and neill Junior, together with a contingent of volunteers lead by Liam McNeive and the members of the women's auxillary, Cumann Na mBan who represented the Liverpool Irish in the fight for Irish freedom..............

1 comment:

  1. Hi. My grandfather was the Liam McNeive I believe you refer to in this post. Although I am aware of his involvement in events in Dublin at Easter 1916, I did not know of a connection with Liverpool. Can you please provide me with any further information you may have, or any sources I might try to find out more. Thanks, John McNeive - mcneivex(AT)yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete