Sunday 17 May 2009

Missed the Eurovision last night...........

Do to prior social commitments, I missed the Eurovision Song Contest from Moscow last night. It very much saddened me, but provided much hilarity within my social group as we marched from pub to pub, while all along the way I tried to catch updates and sneak a quick look.........

The 'not so United Kingdom' done better this year having to bring in the big gun, Andrew Lloyd Webber, to improve on last years very poor performance of finishing nearly last, or was it actually last place????

I admit that anything the 'UK' are involved in and subsequently lose at, kind of makes my day and may seem rather childish to some, but I make no apologies for this and any notion that I am somehow being 'unreasonable' in laughing at the failures of the 'UK' in mostly anything (be it athletics, football, Falkland Islands or even Afghanistan!).

I particularly blame my mother for the way I am. My mother was a great lover of athletics and during the 1970's & 80's Ireland had some world class long distance runners like Eamon Coughlan and John Tracy.............at the same time everyone remembers Coe, Ovett and Cram. There was hardly ever a time when all these runners did not come head to head and as we were forced to watch most of these races through BBC Television it lives strong in my memory my mother cheering on Coughlan and Tracy while the BBC commentators in the most jingoistic of terms provided the same for Coe, Ovett and Cram, and you could often hear the exasperation in their voices when some upstarts from a little country like Ireland, could have the audacity to finish ahead of them!!

So yes, I stand accused of cheering on everyone and anyone that the 'not so United Kingdom' come up against and make no apologies or feel any regret....Here's to you Eamon Coughlan....!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Liverpool!

    Just found your blog and thought i'd give you the lowdown on the Eurovision...

    BTW: the stage in Moscow was designed by an Irishman - http://www.diaspora.ie/2009/05/ireland-eurovision-2009/

    all the best,

    Mick

    ReplyDelete